Sergeant Michael Fink
(386) 586-4855E-mail: MFink@myfcso.us
The goals of the Training Unit are to develop a training program with relevant training methodologies to stimulate interest on the part of all personnel. The training materials include video and audiotapes, lectures and scenarios (hands on). These materials bring to light the practical and ethical problems that officers may face on a day-to-day basis.
Deputies are encouraged to continue their training through both professional and academic programs. This includes attendance at institutes of higher learning and specialized training offered at many levels of corrections and law enforcement.
The Sheriff's Office has a career development program to enhance the deputy's knowledge, skills and abilities through continuing education, both on a professional and academic level.
The Training Officer Maintains:
- In-service Training for all certified positions
- Bloodborne/Airborne Pathogens Policy and Training
- Domestic Violence/Juvenile Sex Offender Training
- Firearm Qualifications
- Defensive Tactics Training
- Legal Updates
- CPR Training
- FCIC/NCIC Training
Training Officer is also responsible for:
- Administration of employment entrance examinations
- Review and update all current training programs
- Develop and implement officer survival training
- Develop and implement countywide "In-service Training"
- The Training Unit also oversees the offices weapons inventory to ensure accountability and that they are in good condition. The unit is responsible for Mandatory Retraining of all certified Law Enforcement and Corrections Officers within the Flagler County Sheriff's Office.
Training servces four basic objectives:
- Well-trained personnel are better prepared to act decisively and correctly.
- Training results in greater productivity effectiveness.
- Training nourishes cooperation and unity of purpose.
- Provides safeguards for being legally accountable for actions of personnel.